Paris - August 1998

 

Minutes of the meeting of the Executive Committee in Paris on 16 February 2002

Present: Theo Binnendijk (President), David Lane (Vice President), Richard Joubert (Treasurer), Famke Schiff (minutes)
Absent: Martti Kemppainen (Vice President)

1. Announcements
Letter of 20 December 2001 from Markus Mader
Markus Mader informed the CE that he could not accept the function of General Secretary because of his job in Pestalozzi. The Governing Board of Pestalozzi will pay SFr.10.000 a year for 2002 and 2003.

Action: Theo Binnendijk will send a letter from the CE to Markus Mader to thank him for his answer and possible advise in future.[Meaning?]

2. Minutes of the Executive Committee in Amsterdam on 2 November 2001
Page 4: Theo Binnendijk had not been in contact with the Presidents of other organisations.
Arlin Ness (President of AIEJI)
Tony Julia (President of AIEJI Spain)
The minutes were adopted.

Action: Theo Binnendijk will contact Arlin Ness and Tony Julia.

3. Meeting with ANCE-France / FICE France with René Bernard and Jean-Pierre Trinquier
René Bernard and Jean-Pierre Trinquier were invited to speak about the possible roles ANCE-France might play in FICE International.

Several possible functions were discussed in the light of the results of the Task Force of 15 February 2002. ANCE-France was asked if it could offer a person for one of the functions of:
- Vice President
- General Secretary / Vice President General Services
- Treasurer
ANCE-France was very willing to participate in FICE International, and was prepared to consider offering a candidate to take on the function of General Secretary. It already had an international network since ANCE-France was itself involved in international relations. It was suggested that the person who fulfilled the position of Vice President General Services needed the backing of a strong organisation. It would be good if ANCE-France could provide the General Secretary. ANCE-France was due to hold a meeting of the Board on 7 March 2002. The proposal would be discussed, and René Bernard said he would inform the Executive Committee of the outcome.

Project 'Education sans Frontières':
Jean-Pierre Trinquier had not met the director of 'Educateurs des écoles' yet. He was aware of the fact that a lot of organisations in France worked in the way Education sans Frontières intended to do. Research had to be done concerning a possible role for the project in those situations where the work already existed.
Fundamental idea for the project is the philosophy of the project.[I suggest deleting this.]
Elements on which the project needed to be improved:
- Cooperation with international organisations, such as Red Cross and UNESCO
- Finding a partner for the action, to organise special intervention
- Lobbying for volunteers
- Information

Action: Jean Pierre will report about the situation during the Federal Council in Budapest in April 2002.

Theo Binnendijk thanked René Bernard and Jean-Pierre Trinquier for their attendance and contributions in participating in FICE International.

4. Results of the Task Force 15 February 2002
The discussion in the Task Force on 15th February 2002 about the current situation and future of FICE had led to a good outcome. A solution had been found for the relationship between FICE International and FICE Europe.

5. General Secretariat and Job Descriptions
The job descriptions of Project Manager would need to be worked out and the plans for projects would need to be considered carefully. Targets and ways of checking targets were essential aspects for a project.

Actions:
The draft job descriptions for the Vice Presidents will be integrated by Famke.
The job descriptions will be placed on the agenda of the Federal Council in Budapest in April 2002.

6. Membership
Proposal International Membership
The CE adopted David Lane's proposal concerning International Membership.

Action: The proposal will be placed on the agenda of the Federal Council in Budapest in April 2002.

Scotland:
At the moment Scotland was part of UK in terms of FICE, but Scotland wished to be a separate member of FICE International with separate votes, and the Scottish Institute for Residential Child Care, a non-governmental organisation, was planning to establish a membership organisation which could act as FICE-Scotland. The Institute focused on residential care but had contacts with organisations dealing with other types of service for children. The organisation was set up and funded nationally.

The question was whether Scotland was a region or a country. If it were a country, it would have the right to two representatives at the Federal Council. David Lane reported that Scotland was treated as a separate country in childcare terms, and Scottish law was different from English law, and he therefore proposed that FICE should be pragmatic and make Scotland as a separate member.

[Famke : I took the liberty of doctoring this bit of the minutes, as I believe that this version is more accurate. Feel free to change it back if you feel I have been presumptuous.]

Action:
Andrew Hosie will be invited for the FC in Budapest to explain why he thinks it is better to be a separate member.
The CE will make a proposal for the FC in Budapest supporting the membership of Scotland. [I thought Theo wanted to back the proposal. If not, your version was more accurate.]

Russia:
Richard Joubert had given a letter for Nina Larianova to Martti Kemppainen. The letter was about a proposal to diminish the contribution for her organisation (The Union of Social Child Care) to SFr.500. Richard Joubert had not received an answer yet.
Theo Binnendijk had been in Moscow recently and had spoken to Martti Kemppainen about the membership of The Union of Social Child Care. They concluded that FICE International could not count on this organisation. In recent years she had never answered letters nor participated in FICE International. It was felt that her organisation's membership had come to an end now.

Action: The proposal to exclude her organisation from membership will be put to Martti Kemppainen before it is brought to the FC in Budapest.

Proposal for a new Russian member
At the request of FICE Holland - who support childcare in Russia - Theo Binnendijk had been to Moscow. He had met representatives of All-Russian Fund of Education; Martti Companion had been invited to this meeting. The proposal that All-Russian Fund Education should become a member of FICE International had been discussed. The organisation - founded in 1991 - had contacts with NGOs in other CIS countries. It supported several educational institutions, including one family-like children's home. The organisation was still in the process of development. Based on the knowledge he had received, Martti Kemppainen believed the organisation was a good candidate to become a member.

Action: Representatives of All-Russian Fund of Education will be invited for the Federal Council in Budapest to inform the members about the structure of the organisation and their activities. Then their membership will be discussed.

7. Finances
Richard Joubert made an overview of the contributions paid by members in the last seven years:
- Austria: had not paid for several years; no reply to letters from the Treasurer
- India: not a full member; just a correspondent
- Israel (Meir Shfeya Youth Village): had not paid for the last two years
- Italy: no replies to invoices
- Latvia / Lithuania: discussions first as to how to help them, and with Martti Kemppainen; one year more as associate member.
- Morocco: official member; no news
- Poland: Richard Joubert had received a letter about the difficult situation of the country. The contribution was too high. Poland would be sent a proposal that their contribution should be reduced to SFr.500. IGfH would be asked to contact them to assess the situation.
- Hungary: FICE Holland had paid the contribution for Hungary. The contribution was too high for them. They would get a proposal for a reduced contribution of SFr.500.

Action:
Some countries will receive a proposal form the Treasurer about reduced contributions of Fr.500.
IGfH will be asked to contact FICE Poland
A proposal concerning the contributions for 2003-2004 will be placed on the agenda for the Federal Council in Budapest, with a view to adoption of the proposal at the General Assembly in Berlin in September 2002.
A proposal will be put forward on the subject of the spending of the available budget (taking account of the extra persons in the new organisational structure).
Theo Binnendijk will consider the support needed from the Secretariat. [I am not sure what this was meant to mean, so I turned it into something I understand.]

Sources of Finances
FICE should not rely on membership subscription only; other money was needed to provide a more reliable income base.

Action: The proposal concerning 'Sources of Finances' by David Lane will be discussed by the Treasurer and small group of people.

8. Website-Contract FICE International
The website contract was adopted with a view to proceeding as soon as possible. The website was to be open before the Federal Council in Budapest in April 2002.

Action:
The names of Theo Binnendijk and Keith White will be added by Famke; then the contract can be signed by the persons in question.
David Lane will send invoices to the Treasurer:
- one for the creation by 1 April 2002;
- one for maintenance from April-June 2002, with payments every three months thereafter.

9. FICE Congress 2004
Glasgow was the preferred option for a possible venue. Scotland had a good history in running international conferences. The Scottish Institute for Residential Child Care had links with FICE and with organisations they work with. People from England and other international countries could be involved in the Congress. The Congress should be seen as a United Kingdom event. The proposed theme of the Congress was: 'Creating a Place for Children'.
The CE agreed with the proposal. Ideas can be worked out. [Meaning?]

In response to a question by David Lane on the possibility of financial support from FICE-International, it was said that it was not common for a Congress to be supported financially by FICE International. It had happened once only, in Paris. The Federal Council in Budapest had to decide about it.

Action: Congress 2006-2008 will be placed on the agenda for the FC in Budapest.

10. Archives
Richard Joubert and Robert Soisson had written a letter to Gianlucca Barbanotti about the archives. They had received no answer.

Action: The President will send a letter to ask for the archives.

11. Situation in Israel
In April 2002 the Federal Council would not be held in Israel because of the political situation. It was the second time that the meeting had been moved to another country. The question was raised in respect of the fact that FICE was seen as UN Peace Messenger what could FICE do for the children in Israel who suffer.

David Lane said that one idea was that an expert meeting should be organised in Israel to honour Meir Gottesman. Maybe a small group of people could take part in such an expert meeting and speak about the consequences and the influences of the political situation on children. FICE should encourage peace education. [Famke : I've changed this a bit as I may have given the wrong impression.]

Action: Theo Binnendijk will make a draft for a letter; Richard Joubert and David Lane will look at it.

List of actions:


Theo Binnendijk will send a letter from the CE to Markus Mader to thank him for his answer and possible advise in future.

Theo Binnendijk will contact Arlin Ness and Tony Julia.

After 7 March 2002 Ren¾ Bernard will inform the Executive Committee about participation of ANCE France in FICE International.

Jean Pierre Trinquier will report about the actual situation of Education sans Frontières during the Federal Council in Budapest in April 2002.

The job descriptions of Vice President will be integrated by Famke.

The job descriptions will be placed on the agenda of the Federal Council in Budapest in April 2002.

The proposal about International Membership by David Lane will be placed on the agenda of the Federal Council in Budapest in April 2002.

Andrew Hosie will be invited for the FC in Budapest to explain why he thinks it is better to be a separate member.

The CE will make a proposal for the FC in Budapest about the membership of Scotland.

The proposal to exclude the Union of Social Child Care from membership will be put to Martti Kemppainen before it will be brought to the FC in Budapest.

Representatives of All-Russian Fund of Education will be invited for the Federal Council in Budapest to inform the members about the structure of the organisation and their activities. Then their membership will be discussed.

Some countries will receive a proposal from the Treasurer about a reduced contribution of Fr.500.

IGfH will be asked to contact FICE Poland

A proposal concerning the contributions for 2003-2004 will be placed on the agenda for the Federal Council in Budapest with a view to voting about it during the General Assembly in Berlin in September 2002.

A proposal on the subject of the spending of the available budget (taking into account the extra persons in the new organisational structure).

Theo Binnendijk will consider the support by the secretariat.

The proposal concerning 'Sources of Finances' by David Lane will be discussed by the Treasurer and a small group of people.

Website contract: the names of Theo Binnendijk and Keith White will be added by Famke; then the contract can be signed by the persons in question.

David Lane will send invoices for the Website to the Treasurer:
one for the creation by 1 April 2002
one for maintenance from April-June 2002; with payment every three months thereafter.

Congress 2006-2008 will be placed on the agenda for the FC in Budapest.

The President will send a letter to ask for the archives.

Theo Binnendijk will make a draft for a letter to Israel about the political situation; Richard Joubert and David Lane will look at it.

 

Top of Page